Thursday, March 21, 2013

Healthy Competition for the Easily Excitable.


When I was growing up, I was more of a tomboy than an artsy girl. My how times change...

I always participated in sports, but sadly (and not shockingly) the teams I was a part of never did well. I am a huge fan of reminiscing, so here are a few examples:

- My high school basketball team once lost to another school by over a hundred points. Our team only had 4 points, so that was a thing.

-One time my basketball team was losing so badly that the coach asked me to fake an injury because he knew I wanted to be an actor. I jumped up to catch a rebound and "fell down". Guys, it was awful. I didn't really hurt myself, but it was convincing, and everyone was concerned, but I was LYING. To this day I don't really know why our coach wanted me to do that, but oh that GUILT carries with me...

-I was taking a test for my Tae Kwon Do red belt and I almost kicked someone in the teeth. Instead, I threw out my knee, subsequently making me have knee surgery at the tender age of 16 and not get the red belt I had worked so hard for.

-I once threw a bat at someone on my co-ed baseball team because he mentioned that baseball was a good sport for me because I was overweight and anyone who plays baseball is out of shape. Needless to say, I was removed from the team. (Side note: I DO NOT like Baseball now... some things you just can't let go)
  

I guess you could say that I have drifted away from my competitive sports-related past, but I have definitely kept some of those qualities. I am still kind of a competitive person at heart, but I also have  developed a very short attention span over the years, allowing me to not really care about winning or losing. I do remember one time I have won first place in something...

 If you look verrrry closely, it actually does say "First Place"

When I was in high school, I was a shot-putter. Yep, that was what I did. I tossed very heavy balls around. I went to my first (and last) city-wide track and field event at the University of Manitoba, where I awaited to be called for my turn to participate. I waited and waited, and finally they called for the senior female shot-putters. MY TIME TO SHINE. I strutted over to the part of the field, and checked in with the official. I looked around, and saw that no one else was walking over. As it turned out, there were NO OTHER SHOT-PUTTERS in my category. Not one other person in Winnipeg was going to compete against me. The official felt bad, and I was pretty upset. By default, they ended up giving me the First Place ribbon.

Yep. I got First Place. By default.

Yep.

I still have the ribbon. It is on my aptly titled "board of life laughs" by my desk in my apartment, alongside numerous letters of rejection for bank loans, letters from financial institutions with the heading WITHOUT PREJUDICE as well as passive aggressive "good luck" cards from old employers after I had told them I was quitting to work in the arts. It's a great lil' board. Always makes me laugh.

The reason why I've been doing a lot of looking back on my awards/medals (or lack thereof) lately is because I have recently been nominated for an Edmonton Music Award in the "Artist to Watch" category. This is nothing in comparison to the Shot-Put debacle of 1999, as I know there are some really great artists in my category that I am alongside. I always hate when you hear Oscar-nominated actors say "It's just an honour to be nominated", but I actually have to say that it is just an honour to be nominated. Even if I don't win I will still be so proud of myself and everyone who has been nominated (although I have heard that the award you receive is actually a bottle of wine, so COME ON. That award was MADE for me).

The fun part of the award that I am nominated for is that it is decided by public votes. That means that YOU (yes, you) can vote to see me win! And heck, if it turns out I win a bottle of wine, I'll try my best to share it with y'all (no promises though...).

If you are interested in voting for me, please visit:

https://yeglive.ca/ema-2013-public-ballot

While you are there, you can also vote for "People's Choice", and I highly recommend voting for my good friends, Collective West. They are super rad and deserve this award. Thanks all!



Until next time I want to recount all my competitive failures,

The girl who may actually win something....one day.


*As an aside, I just want to make it known that even though I am nominated for the "Artist to Watch" award, that doesn't mean you should start creepily watching me (in other words: stalking). If you have been stalking me for a while, keep up the good work! I haven't noticed you...yet.*










No comments:

Post a Comment